Friday, November 28, 2008

MY BIRDS ..gave me wings :D

















































Birds are snugglers, smooooochers, and love to be loved.
Many people do not know that birds have huge hearts and massive, individual personalities. They have a sense of humor and their feelings can be hurt, they get jealous and can read you like a book and know when you need to be loved on. Sounds like a dog ?? Ya..kind of like that!
The larger parrots can posses the intelligence level of a child between the age of 2-5 in some cases. This is why they do not make good pets. You try locking a child in a cage while you go to work and see what kind of behavior issues start to develop? Yes children are cute, just like parrots, but you have to consider the time, consistency, knowledge, patience, and understanding ...well..parrots never grow up. They NEED ALL the time. Just like a toddler. It never ends. They are cute too but ..how many people out there could live that way for YEARS?!
The large parrots live into their 60's to 90's.
The Cockatoo you see in my pics, that is Moe. He was a rescue we took in. He would have died without us. He bonded to Gary my hubby and they were best friends!
But, then Gary started long haul trucking and was gone 5-9 days at a time. After over a year of Moe having Gary home every night, this was too much for him. I was his buddy too, but not enough to help him through this huge change.
He started pulling feathers out again, something he did when he first came to us through the trauma he had gone through before coming here. Then, he started refusing to eat on the 3'rd day Gary would be gone.
All of this was really starting to take a HUGE toll on poor Moe. We all researched as much as we could, contacted experts but were doing all the right things. Nothing was helping Moe. He was starting to bite out of frustration too. He was getting skinny and you could see the confusion on his face mixed with pure JOY when Gary would come home. Moe would go from saying "I love you!!" over and over to Gary, to bitting him within minutes. This was him telling Gary how he felt about the whole thing.
Well, after 7 months of trying, I was the one to finally bring up the topic ...make the choice to save Moe. We ALL agreed...and it was the hardest thing we have done as a family, but the greatest thing too.
I called a wonderful woman, an angel for these amazing creatures! Her name is Wendy Huntbatch and she started the WORLD PARROT REFUGE.
http://worldparrotrefuge.org is the link.
She and I e-mail a few times and we both decided that yes..it was time for Moe to come to there where he could be free to be 'a bird' .
So..Moe is there, has new bird friends and is doing the best he has EVER done in his life.
That place, the volunteers, and Wendy are the most selflessly giving humans I have ever met!!
You have to see these birds! Some of them just break your heart..the stories of where they have been. It just solidifies the reasons why large parrots should NEVER be pets. Thank goodness for this amazing place for them. They are in all different stages of recovery, and have formed bonds with each other and with the volunteers. Some have not reached that trust stage yet but there is no rush, no push, just freedom, medical attention when needed, love, patience, understanding, unconditional care! Check out the web link and watch the vid clips!
I met the Cockatoo 'Lester' that pronounces his name 'Ester'. He just passed away from the cancer that he was fighting for all his life. He had been with them for over 10 years and it broke every one's heart when he passed. He was charming and I got quite a face full of smooches as did my hubby. He was there to welcome Moe..like he knew Moe was afraid and needed to know it was ok.
It is all run off of donations. You can sponsor birds and virtually adopt birds.

Now..to my other little friends.. ;)
After sitting for over 3 years in a recliner, on disablity due to my back, watching TV, going crazy with boredom, I was desperate for company. I was so LONELY!!
I found this little yellow Cockatiel in a pet store. She ran to the side of the cage to me and that was it! I came home, begged my hubby, and after he gave in..hehe...she became my first sweety that saved me! Mustard is her name. Then it started. I took in some that were abandon and tried breeding but that was very short as I could not stand it after I saw how many ended up at the SPCA. So many budgies, cockatiels, conures..oh...and I was just making more! I stopped.
So..now I have these wonderful spirits around me that call to me in the morning, kiss me, snuggle into my neck and basically saved me from a very dark hole called depression.

If you ever are looking for a bird..pleeeeeese check the SPCA's first! If I had of known..I would have first!!!
:D

1 comment:

Chelsi said...

Doing the right thing for our animals is always really hard but the true test of love is that you are able to put them first.

You and your birds! lol Crazy bird lady!!