Monday, November 24, 2008

Lady bugs..sent from heaven.













Let's start with my Mum. She moved into her mother's house with me as a baby. My Grandmother, being the hip, young soul she was, would not have anyone age her with the title 'Grandma' so ..I called her "Mom." I had a Mum and a Mom.

Now...my nick name from Mom's sister, my aunty Mary, was Ladybug.
This stuck. Aunty Mary called me this and Mom. Mom also called me Little Bugger at times ..hehe..dunno why ;P

Lady bugs were very special from that time on. I got things for birthdays, and Christmas with Ladybugs on them. Just special. :)

My Mom was extra special to me. She was the one who taught me how to dance before I could walk, to sing before I could talk. She always provided me with endless art supplies and gasped at every new drawing, sculpture or painting, no matter how it looked ;D She made me feel like I was something!!
She never got to see me with my band...on stage, but I never turned down her requests and burst into Patsy Cline whenever she wanted. She seemed to glow..my biggest fan :D

Anyways...always said the greatest things when the boys and girls at school started the bullying.
She was so hip with fashion and music and loved to dance around with me.
Just such a crazy, boisterous buddy. We even played baseball in the hall a few Christmas's before she passed away, with my Mum yelling at us as we giggled our evil giggles and continued to bash away at the ball! She was GREAT!!!

Then a stroke hit her and took about 1/2 of her away, putting her in the hospital. It took over 2 years..I cannot remember exactly how long but it felt like forever, for her to finally pass on.

We were all there when she did which was good.

2 Days later I had to go to Sechelt to play a gig..I was a singer.
I lay in the tub above the bar where we played, eyes closed.
We stayed upstairs.

I was crying and thinking there is just no point to doing this, I can't. How am I going to sing when I don't even want to move. What is the point. That was all I was thinking and I was crying to the point of heaving.

It had been an hour and the band was knocking on the door telling me it was almost time to get on stage. I did not answer. They could hear me crying.
I just went under the cold water and kept my eyes closed.
I came up and was shivering and opened my eyes. What I saw next sent me flying out of the tub and has changed my view of life forever.

Water was everywhere and the band was banging on the door again because I was screaming!

I looked up and .....the ceiling was covered in LADYBUGS !!

They were not there before. They were just sitting there. About 30 of them or so.

After the room stopped spinning..I wrapped a towel around myself and let my then boyfriend in who was also my guitar player and knew about what Ladybugs meant. He gasped.

It was Mom.
She was kicking my ass!!! She would slap me silly if she knew that I was laying there refusing to sing especially over something to do with her. Oh...man.

Needless to say..I sang my heart out that night and at the end told a short version of what happend. I got 3 encores all in the name of Mom!!!

So..now..every time my life is going through hard bits, when I am hurting, and when my daughter is in the same boat..there are Lady bugs. No matter what time of year..there they are.
There will be one landing on me. They land on my Daughter too. :)
I have had one land on me out in the middle of no where on the ocean.
For 3 days before I had Skye my Percheron put down, there were Lady bugs on me and one landed on him too.
Again..no matter what time of year.

Thank you Mom..for coming and kickin' my ass when I need it..and for the smackors when I need them too...those are Mom kisses...

Julie -aka..Lady bug..or Little Bugger when I am being bad..not me!! ;P

No comments: