Monday, November 24, 2008

My new horse..and the search to find... :O


















































This beauty is my new sweet friend Danika. She is a 15hh, 12 year old Fjord mare. She does have a tiny bit of Arab somewhere in there which is why she has the white on that darling face.

Let me tell you, my search for a new horse( Draft horse ) to love took me to so many places. I did look here in BC, but ended up turning to the US as finding a Draft horse of sorts in BC, proved impossible on a budget such as mine.
I went to Yakima WA, Salem Oregon, Sisters Oregon, and then my pot of gold, Forks WA to where I had the pleasure to meet the very first Fjord of my life Danika. Soon to be followed by her brother and father. Her father by the way, is 35 years old and still producing!

I have to say, I have been owned and owned quite a few different breeds of horses, and love them all, but was unprepared for what these fuzzy, walking Teddy bears did to my insides!!!!
They were so sweet and wanted to be touched and loved and snuggled. They had no problem with kisses and hugs, not pushy, just giving soft noses up to my cheeks and lips and crook of my neck. Resting their heads on my shoulders waiting for my arms to wrap around to complete the hug. Where have these babies been all my life!!??
I now call them 'Julie sized Drafts' as they allow my 5'4 self perfect access to climb aboard, put the saddle on, you name it.

I am waiting on pins and needles for my Danika to come home here. She is getting the Coggins and Vet stuff done for the border and then I will be hauling her with the help of some great and generous friends of mine by the end of the month...hopefully. Feels like forever!!!

If you ever get a chance to have a horse in your life..check them out!!

Julie :D

5 comments:

Chelsi said...

Hey Julie! Wow, you got a lot done today! I love the ladybug story and cant wait to meet Danika in person. For some reason when you were talking on the phone and saying that you were getting Danika from Forks, I knew there was something about it that was special to you (where she was from!) That is SOOOO weird! and cool. It is really too bad i could not meet you there.

Look foward to coming back.
C

chickinpjs said...

Ya!! Vampire Land!!!!! I was watching the movie and thinking "Hey..I was right there!!" LOL!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awww! I had no idea Fjord horses were like big ppuppies in personality! I supose I'd be to big for one being almost 6' tall, though.
I love my paint mare, but she 15.3hh and it sure is tough mounting anymore.

Congrats on your lovely Danika!!

~Lisa
New Mexico

chickinpjs said...

Hello Lisa! Well..I have to tell you..my chronic pain is from my back and getting on horses is tough for me too ;P I have chosen Drafts as my horses because of how smoooooth they are and as you know..they are usually pretty tall! I had not considered and Fjord..which is actually a small Draft! :) C, my great friend from 'Adventures of A Horse Crazed Mind'was helping my find my new horse after the loss of my beloved Percheron Skye and she sent me the listing for Danika. Soooo..in my travels, she was #9 on my route. I had looked at a lot of horses, all Drafts.
I had one more after her to go.
Met her..love..that is an understatement..at first touch!
Now..I asked the woman I bought her from if my Daughter who is almost 6'ft tall could ride her? She said of course..she is a Fjord!!! They can carry an adult easily! They are a Draft and are built like them too..just lower to the grownd. That is great for me and ..sounds like it would be for you too ;D
I would look for 14.2 and up as they tend to be stalkier when they are a bit bigger like that..I have found in my Google and Youtube research ;)
Anyway...I have NEVER been so effected by a breed before and cannot wait to have my own farm..I will be getting another for sure!!!
Don't know how many breeders are out your way but if you have the chance to meet a Fjord..do it!! :D
Hugs
Julie xo

chickinpjs said...

Hehe..gotta love my spelling before my second cup of coffee!! 'grownd!!' Nice!
Julie :D